Not only are Google Workspaces, Google Sheets, Docs, Forms and Slide great to work in and look awesome, but the convenience of collaborating and sharing your Google Drive Files and Folders is also super useful. So much so that many course creators share their documents with their students all the time.
The problem that course creators have is that they are generally stuck with two options when sharing their Google Drive files and folders:
- Set sharing to Anyone with Link can view. And hope other freeloading students don’t find and share their course material.
- Manually share each student as they enrol. Which is time-consuming for the course creator and annoying for the student who needs to wait to be shared before they can get their hands on your awesome course content.
Both options are really terrible.
I reluctantly chose option one for my first Google Sheets Essentials Teachable Course and it really bothered me. I needed to find a way to share my Google Drive course content with only those students who signed up for my course.
In this tutorial, I will guide you through creating a Google Apps Script web app that receives a webhook notification when a student enrols onto one of my Teachable courses. If a student enrolled with a non-Gmail or non-Google Workspace domain email account, they will be sent an email with an attached form to add a Google-friendly email.
If you want a copy of the Google Sheet with the Apps Script attached, without coding it all yourself, plus written-visual tutorials on how to quickly set up your sheet head over to my teachable page now and purchase the sheet and instructions for just $2.95. Yeap not even the price of a cuppa.
The fun thing is that you will experience how the whole process works, because…well…that’s how I am going to share the Google Sheets file with you when you enrol. Neat, hey?
As a part of your purchase you will also get a few other perks:
- Set files or folders for ‘view’, ‘comment’ or ‘edit’ access.
- Add existing students to your selected course Google Drive Files and Folders.
- Get your full course list from your Teachable site right in your Sheet.
- A choice to bulk set your files and folders to:
- prevent downloads, copying and print.
- Prevent sharing by any documents you have provided ‘edit’ permission to.
If you want to understand how it all works and build your own, read on, you can always throw a couple of coins at me and enrol to run the workflow just for fun.
Instantly share ONLY Teach:able Students to selected Google Drive Files and Folders
If you are looking to build your own Teachable Course you can check out a how-to guide here:
How to launch an online course—and craft your email strategy
Continue reading “How to Automatically Share Teachable Students to Google Drive Files and Folders when they Enroll in your Course”