What is Spacer?
Spacer is a Free Google Add-On that creates row spaces by column categories.
I use it as an academic administrator to create a space or two at the end of each class section to create a visual break between sections. This makes it easier for my staff to quickly identify class sections.
You can find Spacer at the Google Chrome Webstore.
What can Spacer do?
- Automatically detect the width of your columns.
- Allow you to select a column with the categories you want to use to space your data.
- Set the height of your header – so that is not spaced too.
- Set the thickness of your spaces.
- Set the color of your spaces
- Set starting and end position of your color filler.
How to use Spacer
Before You Start:
- Before you start, create a Google Sheet with the data in it you want to space.
- Select All the data.
- Go to the menu bar and select:
Data>Sort Range...and select the column you want to sort by. This will be the column you will use to space your data by the categories in that column.
- In a Google Sheet, select the
- A sidebar will appear to the right.
- Choose the column you want to use to Space your data.
- Choose how high your header is.
- Chose how thick or deep you want your header to be.
- If you want a colour, select a colour that you want to add to your spaces.
- Select where you want to start the colour and end the colour.
- If you are not happy with the colour, space, colour width or made a mistake, simply click:
I keep getting the following popup:
This is because the starting value of your Color Width is greater than your End value:
I have a list of people with their favourite colour and fruit. Let’s say I want to sort the Google Sheet by favourite colour (Fav Color) and put a space at the end of each colour category to make it easier to read.
My data looks like this:
To space this data we must do the following:
- Select all the data:
ctrl+shift + a
- Sort the data by column B. Select:
Data> Sort range
- Click the:
Data has a header rowtick box. Select the column:
Fav Color. Then click the
- Your data is now sorted by favourite colour:
- Time to use the Spacer. Select:
Add-ons > Spacer > Create spaces
- Spacer will open at Sidebar on the right:
- We want to space our data by Fav Color which is column B. For
- We have a single Row Header so we can leave the header selection at 1:
- We want to give our spaces a thickness of 2 rows:
- Next, we choose a colour. Let’s choose purple. A colour picker will pop up (the picker may vary depending on your system) select the colour and click:
- This is the result:
- Now choose where to start and finish the colour fill for the space. I’ll start it at column A and end it at column E.
- Finally click
- This will be the result: